Our firm’s story begins in 1893, when Harald Nørregaard established his legal practice in Oslo, Norway.
Harald Nørregaard was a lawyer of exceptional stature, holding numerous important appointments and offices. Nørregaard had an immense appreciation for the arts, and was a very close friend of Edvard Munch.
In 1932, Johan Bernard Hjort joined the firm as a partner. After six years of productive collaboration with Hjort, Harald Nørregaard died in 1938, at the age of 74.
The firm was closed during the time of the world wars from 1941 to 1945, and essentially had to be re-established. However, an abundance of work in the post-war years provided rapid growth for the firm.
In 1950, Johan Bernard Hjort’s son, Johan Hjort, joined the firm. The foundation of the present firm was established in the late 1970s, with further expansion in the 1980s. Over time, the firm has refined its expertise in business law, and strives to be at the forefront in all of our practice areas.
At the beginning of 1997, we relocated to Akersgaten 2 at Christian Torv, to accommodate our need for a larger premises for our expanding law firm.
In the autumn of 2008, Advokatfirmaet Hjort in the continuous path of expansion, relocated to Akersgaten 51.
The continual growth of Hjort has paved the way for a contract with the one of Norway’s largest real estate companies, Entra, for our new offices located at Universitetsgata 7. The area known as Tullin in its entirety is an area for the future. It is here where we have an entire building that is Norway’s first building made of recycled and repurposed materials. The area consists of alleyways full of street art, restaurants, cafes and meeting places. This already makes Tullin an attractive and important area for culture and business prospects. Moreover, our modern offices are a prime location since it is just a stone’s throw from both the Norwegian Supreme Court and Oslo District Court.